Banner

BannerFans.com

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Oh, How The Time Flies

Today, January 21, 2009, is the eight month wedding anniversary for me and Jonas. It feels like just yesterday we were saying our vows. So much has happened since I met Jonas in September of 2007.

Some might say we moved a little fast. I would have to agree. But I also say that you can't put an speedometer on love.

These pictures were taken on the day that I met Jonas. Somebody had asked me to come out and practice with the intramurals team. Little did I know that I would be the only girl there. That day, Jonas was the only one (of maybe 13 guys) out there that I didn't talk to. I was already intimidated by him.


Here is Jonas ---> in the grey shirt. And of course, I'm the only girl in the middle of the pic.

We started talking on Facebook a couple of days later. An instant connection. That next weekend (three days after we started talking) all of my friends went home. I knew that there would be an outing on Saturday night and that Jonas would be attending, so I stayed to go with him. I skipped my brother's 21st birthday to see just how strong my connection was with Jonas.

Anyway, we had our first kiss on September 29th, 2007. On October 8th, we made it "Facebook official" and just clarified that yes, he was my boyfriend, and yes, I was his girlfriend.

We had a blast together all the time, so why wait to take a vacation? October 18-21st, we and another couple headed down to Panama City Beach for the weekend. This picture was taken at a restaurant next to our hotel on Oct. 19th, just about 3-4 weeks after we met. Can't you see the connection??


Anyway, I brought him home to the parents for our Thanksgiving break at school. He stayed in my mom's guest bedroom. They seemed to really like him, and I already knew that I loved him. We told each other how strong our feelings were for the other just before I brought him home. Here we are with my little sister Paityn around Thanksgiving 2007.


In the beginning, I was very hesitant to date Jonas. I could feel that we had a strong connection and I knew that I was going to end up getting hurt because he was an exchange student, only there for the fall semester. In January 2008, he would return to Germany to finish school and potentially, finish the rest of his life. I dated him because I didn't want to look back years from then and wonder "What if?" and regret not taking my chances.

Winter break came and Jonas and some of his exchange buddies from school took a 4 week road trip throughout the east coast. I wanted so badly to go with him, but my mom said "No way Jose." Who could blame her? I was 18 years old. She did, however, surprise me on Christmas with a ticket to Germany in March for my spring break AND a ticket to New York for just three days later so I could spend my New Years with Jonas!


Saying goodbye to him in January was to hard. I cried like a baby in the middle of the Hartsfield-Jackson Airport. Sure, I knew we would see each other in March, but then what? I was hating that he had to leave.

Six short weeks later we both got the surprise of a lifetime. Here is the first ultrasound picture I ever took.


Yup. I was 18 years old and pregnant. The father of my baby was 22 and in Germany. Crap.

Time to tell the parents came and Jonas's parents took it VERY well. His dad immediately bought two tickets for two days later to come to Atlanta and talk it our personally with me and my family. I was so scared to tell my parents. Not of what they would do, but how they would feel. I knew they'd be extremely disappointed in me. They too, though, surprised me a lot. My mom immediately started mapping out ways for me to be able to finish school and where I could live and whatnot. As expected, my dad took a little bit to come around to the idea of being a 43 year old grandfather, but having Jonas and his father come really helped him (I think).

I still took my trip to Germany from March 14th to March 30th (if I remember correctly). Here we are in Berlin. It was SO cold!!


Luckily, my mom (being the great lawyer that she is) found a way for Jonas to come here in May and stay here. It was hard and expensive, dealing with US Customs and Immigration, but we did it.

I didn't have the formal white dress wedding that I had always dreamed of. I was in jeans. I wasn't feeling well that day. I was five months pregnant and pretty hormonal. Nonetheless, we got married on May 21st, 2008 in Gwinett County, GA at my mom's office. How romantic.



I wouldn't change it for the world. I have the most wonderful husband I could've ever dreamed of and the most beautiful and healthy son anyone could ask for.


As you grow up, you learn that even the one person who wasn't suppose to let you down, probably will. You will have your heart broken, more than once. You'll fight with your best friends, and you might even fall in love with one. You'll blame a new love for things an old one did. You'll cry because time is passing so fast, and you'll eventually lose someone you love. So take too many pictures, laugh too much, and love like you've never been hurt- because every 60 seconds you spend angry or upset is a minute of happiness that you'll never get back...

Take chances, tell the truth, date someone totally wrong for you. Say no. Fall in love. Get to know someone random. Say I love you, laugh, cry, yell, get revenge, apologize. Tell someone how much they mean to you. Tell people what you feel. Tell someone how much you miss them. Laugh until your stomach hurts. Dance like no one is watching. Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes things have to fall apart for others to fall into place, but in the end, what is meant to be will always find its way.

3 comments:

Brianne said...

I am glad I finally got to hear the love story!!! Cute pictures, I'm very happy for you both.

Lana M. said...

That is a wonderful love story. It's a shame some of us don't get to tell the same story, or nothing even similar. Cute baby + handsome husband + sparks flying = a loving family and passion in the air!!!

Lisa said...

that was beautiful sam!! i love you and i love jonas! and i'm so glad i got to take pictures of you when little keegan was still inside of you!